Most people would like to be able to build and maintain their own WordPress website if they had the skills or knew where to learn. If you knew how to build and maintain your own WordPress website, you’d save so much time and money paying others to build and maintain one for you? It’s unreal!
If this sounds like you, someone who’d like to learn how to use WordPress to build/maintain your own website, then you’re going to love this special report. I’m going to dive right into what you need to know specifically and in order so you can quickly become acquainted with how I go about building and maintaining WordPress websites.
What do you need to build a WordPress website?
Besides the skill set, all you need is:
- Domain name
- Website Hosting
- A WordPress theme
- A few WordPress plugins
- Your content (i.e., written, audio and video)
That was simple, wasn’t it?
How do you go about building a WordPress website?
- Order website hosting for your WordPress website. (Takes 10-15 minutes.)
- Point the domain name servers to your hosting company based on the instructions they give you. (Takes 5 minutes, but you might need to wait 24 hours for your name server change to propagate. Once they do, and your domain name is pointed to your hosting company, you can then start building your WordPress website.)
- Install WordPress on your hosting account inside cPanel. (Takes 5-10 minutes.)
- Install your WordPress theme (Takes 5 minutes to install it. It might take an hour or two to shop for the perfect one you want, and maybe even some trial and error. You might try one theme and not like it, so you’ll try another and another. Been there, done that!)
- Install a few essential admin plugins (could take 10-20 minutes)
- Customize a few key areas inside your WordPress dashboard (i..e, Settings ⇒ Permalinks, General, Reading, etc.)
- Start adding content in the Pages and Posts area. You might create categories for your pages and posts, while you’re at it.
- Build/customize the menu navigation system for your website. (Go to Appearance ⇒ Menus)
- Refresh your website form time to time as you build your website. How’s it coming along? Keep adding content and customizing it until you have your ideal WordPress website.
- Promote your WordPress website to the world when it’s finished!
Wow, 10 major steps to learning how to build and maintain a WordPress website. In a nutshell, that’s how you build a WordPress website. Seems pretty easy, eh? Well, while there’s a lot more to learn, once you do learn it, you’ll get comfortable with the steps pretty quickly.
How do you maintain a WP website?
Here’s how I maintain my sites …
- Add content regularly (i.e., written, audio, video).
- Update plugins every week or so, while adding 1-2 every so often that I find that I like and that perform a new function I want in my WordPress website.
- Monitor your WordPress website for malware, trojans and problems. Typically, watch for eMails from your website hosting company. When they alert you, have them run a scan and quarantine any bad files they find.
- Update your theme every couple years if you want. While you don’t have to, some themes just grow out of style.
- Check my list of things to do on your website to make sure your website is in overall tip top shape.
Pretty simple, eh?
WordPress tutorials here at MTC …
Below you’ll find a few WordPress video tutorials I’ve created here at MTC. If you like what you see, I’ve got many more for you to learn from.
Did you get any ideas for making your own video tutorials? Take anything you saw in mine and implement those ideas in your video tutorials.
Let me know if you’d like my help building a WordPress website for you so you then can just go in and maintain it. I’ve done that for friends and clients. I’ll set it up, install the theme and plugins, add a few content pages and voila! They’re off to the races!